Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Blog-o-mind

I've been reading about Emergence (for a paper, of course), and Stephen Johnson has a thought-provoking examination of whether the internet could actually become self-organizing, a kind of conscious mind. His conclusion is no (the higher order patterns that do emerge come from the users, not the net itself) but his exploration is pretty compelling.

In that vein, I was reading Kat's blog and thinking I'd link to it, and wondering if the blogs could just eventually start linking themselves. Here. I'll nudge the pattern forward. Link to Kat's blog. She's a brilliant photographer. I loved the image she captured I'm posting -- her blog has some really eyebrow-cocking images of the city.

1 comment:

katherine said...

aww thanks! i can't wait to see you when you get home. don't worry i won't pound on your door tomorrow...it always takes me a few days to adjust and come out of hermit mode.

p.s. i believe inanimate objects could possibly have feelings...have since i was a kid, so i am totally buying the emergence/electro-evolution thing. it was kind of like god. you say thankyou to them and hello and stuff--just in case.

Oh also, i was afraid of street lights...you know the big double ones that hang over the highway that look as though they have teeth and eyes. so yeah, fear the idea!