Friday, January 16, 2009

RED

So I have this two year old ipod nano,
one of the RED ones. 8 gigs. Works fine, though I broke the little carrying case for it. I use it on planes, while knitting, in the car, while walking.

Yesterday I had it on the table in a coffee shop at a meeting I was having in one of my hospitals. A woman I don't know well from my client group came up and started chatting with us. She's in her early 50s, great red hair, dresses memorably. She noticed the ipod, and started to tell a story, almost against her will. Her husband died last year. She had a red ipod, just like this one, that her team had given her. She loves red, it was special, but she's not a music person. She didn't even load it. When john got sick, she loaded it with his music. It was how he coped. Music was important to him, the red ipod carried him through the last months.

At the end, he was doing palliative care at home. There was a problem with the bed company. One night, they did a delivery at 1 a.m. The bed didn't fit together. She had John up in the middle of the night. She loves red, she doesn't mean to be telling this story like this, it's just that the ipod reminded her.

The next day, there were three bed companies there all at once, trying to sort out the problem. The ipod was on the dressing table. One of the men stole it. A palliative bed delivery guy stole a dying man's ipod.

After John died, she used his aeromiles to buy a new ipod. It was like his final gift to her. But the RED line was done. The new one is turquoise, and she's never even loaded it.

She hadn't even seen a red ipod since then. Mine just reminded her. She's sorry.

So I hand her my ipod. "I think you should have this."

"No, no no." She's embarrassed. "I really didn't mean to tell that story."

"Seriously, I'll bring it to you on Wed, at the meeting. you bring me the turquoise one. We'll switch."

She nods, changes the subject. We talk business.

I go home, fall asleep wondering if I want her turquoise one or if I should buy the new one with the video window. Will it work with my car adaptor? I let the sadness simmer at my edges. I sleep fitfully.

This morning, I'm rushing around. I notice out of the corner of my brain that I've left my ipod in the bathroom, for some reason. I grab my brush, which tangles in the earbud wires... and drop the RED ipod in the (not yet flushed) toilet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no!
Does this mean no ipod for the wonderful red ipod friend? Can it be salvaged? I really think I need to know this.

Unknown said...

OH shit!That sucks! Maybe she can find another red one online...?

Hey, by the way, that story perfectly fits the theme of the book you gave me... 'Evocative Objects". Maybe she would like the book...you should tell her about it...

Cari said...

Ack! Is it dead or just in need of drying out and a good sanitizing?