Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 1

My sister told me that any road trip needs to begin with a song played loudly, and that your journey should take shape around it. I decided to goofily play Canada's Really Big as I ping-ponged my way out of the recklessly parked cars in the market. For a few minutes, I contemplated rewriting the plan and actually staying completely within Canada instead of my half-and-half itinerary, just for the romantic satisfaction of rounding the lake and threading across the prairies. But I opted for the friends-as-stops plan as written, and pointed myself toward the QEW.

It doesn't feel Significant yet, especially the first 55 km that I traced so many times going to rochester, before the turn off in Hamilton. The familiarity of the 401 wasn't overshadowed by the shiny new stores on Manning road (more coffee, a bottle of wine for dinner).

Visited my mom briefly, then to B&J's where I did a conference call on my BC project before my mother came for dinner. They gifted me with a new burr coffee grinder as a housewarming present, which was bloody nice -- and still the distance isn't real. 387 km out of 4922 -- barely a divot in the map. Starting to find a rhythm of audiobooks, new music and the radio. And realizing just how much my car likes to urge itself forward in 6th. So far avoided the many speedtraps, but I can't imagine this trend continuing through the revenue-thirsty interstates.

License plates spotted: Manitoba, Quebec, NY, NJ, OH, MI, MO, CO, MN.

No comments: