Saturday, July 18, 2009

Here with you

Surreally, I find myself in Kansas City yet again, talking my way through workshops and other conversations about the future of the communication theory I work in with my compadres, at the tail end of my school's national summer session.

Tucked up in one of the Westin truly heavenly beds, mid-afternoon, instead of running. Listening to one Laurie Anderson's Here with you, a short piece that slows me down and stretches time for me. I'm really really tired after these weeks of moving and emotion of so many different species, but elevated at the same time by the conversations. Months and years of accumulated stories, word in word with one of the people with whom I can truly be the Cate I most aspire to, trying to map a path for the next few months that lets me enact this scholar and world-changing self.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the fact that I am a "serious" person. I don't know why I feel so compelled to label myself that way, but maybe it's something about being intentional about carving out a purposeful life. There's more to be revealed there.

No comments: