Friday, October 13, 2006

Mayhem

I came home from lunch on Wednesday and there were five streetcars backed up in the northbound part of the spadina transit lane, a bus coming south in the streetcar lane. The drivers, fire fighters and cops were all milling about, stalled, no clear story. I turned onto my street, and there was an ambulance blocking the road, a paramedic ferrying a woman with a big gash on her head out of one of the stores on the street level of my building. I opened the door to my building, and there was a big sign from another resident that someone had tried to break into their loft at 4:30 a.m., that their dogs had scared them off, beseeching the rest of us to be careful about who we let into the building (note that these signs disappeared quickly, which irked me -- I want this community grapevine). Edges of chaos.

Then yesterday? Walking home from my meeting? I felt wet drops... but they looked oddly visible... and then, there it was. Snow. Snow falling. On October 12. Leaves whipped around me and the snow blew straight at me and I was out without gloves of course. Because it was October 12th.

I spent the evening in bed reading Dan Savage's book about marriage and eating good things. It seemed the right thing to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yesterday was very excellent! it's always lots of fun to share fun gossipy stories and eye-rolls about the intersection of our communities and acquaintances.

the burning question on my mind now, though, is whether the good things you ate with dan savage were of the "brown rice and sweet potatoes good" or the "jubes and licorice good" variety.