Saturday, May 12, 2007

I am not sure how I can go from being a person who drive this car:



to a person who drives this car:



in the space of two years. I guess the same way I can go from a person who dates small female artists to a person whose partner is a big ol' alpha male scientist guy. Or maybe I'm just lazy and it was easier to trade in my horrifyingly badly depreciated wee car at the place that sold it to me than to try to offload it on the saturated open market.

Those germans are wily. If I hadn't bought the smart car from them, it never in a million years would have occurred to me to contemplate mercedes for a car. But now I'm their customer, and they somehow converted granola girl to a Serious Brand.

My sales guy was very Solemn. He was rabbiting on about safety features, and when we got to the absurd claim that the hood was designed in such a way that if I -- god forbid -- hit a pedestrian, the hood would absorb 90% of the impact so that there would be less likelihood of head injuries.

Look, Bobby, I said. You have been talking a lot about safety. That's all good -- but is it because I'm female? If I were a guy, would you be talking about performance?

No, he said, straightfaced. I talk about safety because I used to work for volvo.

The only decision left to make is whether I want to spend $500 on roof and bicycle racks and get a free devinci bicycle.

This car comes with everything. I think it even comes with a kid.

1 comment:

katherine said...

I thought you had a bicycle? If not, I still think it's a rip off. Don't do it. A bike rack is 80 bucks, and uncle Jacob will sell you a nice bike for $100. Fancy bikes just get stolen, anyhow.

Glad you're back! :)
xoxox