Sunday, January 27, 2008

Field notes

In some way, this blog is becoming more like field notes than anything else. There's something about the potentially public nature of it that pushes me to be a bit more articulate (maybe?) than the scrawl of notes that I make on post-its and in my word file called "field notes" that's a highly inconsistent set of observations.

One thing that's really circling for me -- I was thinking about linda's work, and how infused it is with her deep relationship with linguistics -- how comfortable she is with the architectonics of the analysis, how focused she is on wanting to be precise with her terminology. And *my* analysis, otoh, is much more rooted in my early training in literary analysis -- I analyse the stories and how they're put together, and I'm a lot more imprecise with terms, and have to keep going back to my little lists of practices that I've made over time to know how to name what's happening. I get a little thrill when I recall a term like "constrastive sets" and know that it's the right term, but I'm not nearly as much at ease with the perspicacious distinctions between terms as she is -- and, I really get into the narrative aspects of what I'm analysing. Literary texts and conversations between couples become exactly the same thing for me. I think my early steeping in the kind of new school criticism that whacked the idea of "intentional fallacy" into my head set me up to really *get* the social constructionist psychological position -- what the author MEANT is irrelevant; what HAPPENS is what counts. Same thing in our social interaction.

The other thing I was thinking about is how when I wrote my two proposals, somehow I made the assumption that CMM (Barnett's theory/approach) was more of an afterthought -- I think somehow I thought, yeah, yeah, it's part of it, but not the core. And I realize, in doing this, I don't really know any other way of doing this analysis other than CMM -- apparently, unbeknownst to me, it snuck into my framing in such a way that it IS the way I view communication. The entire analysis of my work rests on being able to map stories of relationship and self-concept through CMM heuristics, and to trace what happens in conversation through CMMish contextual hierarchies and forces. Funny how it entered my veins when I wasn't paying attention and I could no more do this work now without that frame than I could do it without using English.

No comments: