Monday, January 21, 2008

Keeping it honest

When I'm at this not-a-laptop (don't get me started on bloody apple who claim to no longer MAKE "laptops" when you phone them to complain about the overheating and whatnot), it's easy to use this blog (and every other nook and cranny of the interweb) as a powerful site of procrastination... so with this enormous deadline, I'm going to try to use it to keep myself honest. No one else will really give a fig about this but me, but at least if I have to document what I *did* every day for the next 6 weeks, there's some kind of rein on any wandering I might do.

So today was partly about getting back in the groove after not touching my stuff all weekend (driving back from roc, errands for F to fondle a new Pentax, an eclectic and past-our-bedtime dance party, picking up Age at the airport and having an evening with her, etc. etc. Unpacking. So now I'm back in TO, and at 7:16 pm, still in my sweats I pulled on when I got up this morning, while Age snoozes off her food poisoning lunch on the couch.

So what'd I actually DO, other than some client work, booking my flight to Denver, paying a few bills, etc? Well, I moved bits of paper around, and finally figured out how to write the intro to my discussion chapter. God knows I don't *exactly* know what I'm saying yet, but I need to start getting some things on paper and building it a bit at a time. So I wrote the description of the structure of the chapter, and detailed my analytical model and the role of the contexts of self and relationship stories, and how I'm using the hierarchy model and the daisy model. And then I wrote the section on the stories of self and relationship for my "alpha" participants.

Oh, and I found some articles and a master list of terms I'd put together that I didn't have with me in roc. That was actually kinda helpful.

Total word count: 2324. None of them quartz-brilliant, but the gabbro of my dissertation -- the sturdy sticky rock of the scottish mountains.

Not BAD output... sedimenting slowly accumulating into some new form.

No comments: