Sunday, June 01, 2008

Flowing and drawn

If you tasted it, it would first taste bitter,
then briny, then surely burn your tongue.
It is like what we imagine knowledge to be:
dark, salt, clear, moving, utterly free,
drawn from the cold hard mouth
of the world, derived from the rocky breasts
forever, flowing and drawn, and since
our knowledge is historical, flowing, and flown.
-- Elizabeth Bishop


**

Still rewriting, realizing I've elevated this massive document to another level but now the second half isn't coherent with the elevation I've done... no time to fully rewrite, so contemplating a somewhat schizophrenic version where I think I understand my work now better than is reflected in the written document. I guess that's better than some alternatives.

Panic slowly subsiding, but still feeling drawn, a little tongue-burnt, wondering why I can't do all of this without such intense emotion.

Back to the writing.

1 comment:

katherine said...

hello! i'm back online! after nearly 3 weeks! good to catch up with you here... it's been a while!