Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How we are seen


I've been doing a lot of reading/writing/thinking about identity lately, how we construct our ideas of self, how we discern how other people are constructing us and how we coordinate those dynamics. Some of it is in very personal contexts ("I am the strong one") and some of it is about how we interpret and enact more collective identities -- nationality, queerness, what it means to be female.

Yesterday I bought something that lets me "perform female gender," as Judith Butler would have it, at a level that I've never attempted before -- gold strappy tall party sandals. A convergence of all sorts of different contexts -- B's upcoming wedding I need black tie for, a yen for a Betsey Johnson dress for years and suddenly finding myself right at the store after a lunch, too much Sex and the City, playing with different versions of self, including the one that my online pals are jokingly calling StraightCate. (Who is, according to my ex, "fancy"). Tropes of an exploration of a kind of version of self that might be open to possibilities I've never contemplated before.

I was buying the shoes (and a fantastic, too expensive, pair of dresses, about which no more will be said) at the same time that a little yellowed newspaper clipping lay on my desk. One of the bits of ephemera I retrieved from my grandmother's house after the funeral, it's the newspaper obit from my grandmother's mother. It reads:

Mrs. Calixte Seguin
With her brother, Very Rev. Raymond Piche, OP of Fall River, Mass., officiating, funeral services were held in Assumption Church on Wednesday for Mrs. Calixte Seguin, lifelong resident of this district, who died Saturday at her home, 3229 Baby Street, after a long illness.

Mrs. Seguin's nephew, rev. Norbert Chateau of Detroit, assisted as Deacon... [long list of priests, deacons and subdeacons who were all part of the funeral mass].

Ladies of the Altar Society of which she was a member attended in a body. Pallbearers were her nephews: Ernest Piche, Alvin Piche, Paul Piche, Hector Renaud, Arthur Langlois and Ernest Seguin. Burial was in Assumption Cemetary.


**

Nowhere. No. Where. in the obit does it actually mention her actual NAME. Maria Seguin, nee Piché. Nor her three children. Nor her grandchildren. It locates her inside her husband's identity, within a huge phalanx of priests and other male representatives of the church, her male relatives who were her pallbearers. It mentions a clump of ladies as a body, also Church related.

Despite my fairly extensive reading on the history of marriage, and my finely honed interpretation of the possibilities and limits of the institution, and my lengthy engagement with the implications for the queer world of the legalization of marriage, this obit was shocking to me. This was 1944, when my parents were both young children, and in the public record, in the narrative that sums up her life, her identity was completely subsumed to the men of her world.

I try to put my strappy little sandals with the gold bows in the same world as this obit where my great grandmother doesn't even get a name or any details from the life she lived out, only the institutions she was situated in. The truism is about the depth of change over those decades. Neither marriage nor the Church look anything like they did six decades ago in terms of how they structure people's lives.

On one level, the institutions still have the same basic frameworks and literal meaning -- and in another, they have a completely different social force. It provides an interesting dilemma for us, in the 00s or whatever we're calling this decade. We can recoil from the institutions, recognizing the historical force and purpose of them, rejecting the tenets wholesale -- and we can also engage with them as fluid constructs, living embodiments of the way that contexts shift and the meaning of what we take for granted shifts.

All of my work on same sex marriage left me with some unease about a wholehearted embracing of an institution that a mere six decades ago pretty much erased my great-grandmother's identity. And, it's also clear that that version of marriage was part of its specific historical context. Recognizing the historical version of marriage and its force and engaging with it as a place to look at our relationship paradigms, what we mean when we "do" commitment, provocations to what we take for granted about gender -- we can also reinterpret the institutions.

I'm not sure that at any previous point in my life I would have been so unadulteratedly pleased to be witness to a fairly traditional marriage ceremony, would enjoy the costuming. But I'm really happy to be part of B's wedding. Maybe the point is that the revolution of the past half century is that we can also hold multiple truths in the same fist, making a world where my dykely self forged over two decades can coexist with straightcate and her fancy shoes, making me, in context, constantly shifting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure this "multiple truths" idea captures the diversity of StraightCate and SquigglyCate. I think these Cates are like the tools on a Swiss Army Knife, each one snapped out for a purpose; to participate in a different kind of interaction: GoldsandalCate for a wedding; CargoshortCate to show solidarity; SocialconstructivistCate when you're arguing with this position. Each tool is real enough, but there is an underlying MultiCate; durable, red-and-silver, stainless.

Spidertattoo said...

First of all, you, my dear, are magnificent in your multi-dimensionality, and that includes straightcate, and all the queer parts of yourself, and countless other pieces, which somehow make up a whole that is brighter than the sum of its parts. A rich identity that you carry well and can be proud of :-)

Second of all, I think that love should be celebrated in all its forms and rituals. I myself am not inclined to think that I will ever get married again (yes, even if I find the girl of my dreams) even though same-sex marriage is now one of my rights, but I would absolutely attend someone else's ceremony. Of course, my dress-up self would probably wear a sharp suit. No straightspidertattoo here, but I know I would find a way to make it fun and entertaining. I usually do ;-)

Mini-rant: This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of mine in which I bemoaned some of my queer brothers (but mostly) sisters' disdainful or downright hateful attitude towards traditional marriage and/or queer people being involved in opposite-sex relationships - you know, 'conformity'. I must say that I find this whole position a tad hypocritical. As a dyke, I'm part of a community that has fought for the freedom and right of *all* people to love whom they want. Yes, people, this includes straight and bisexual human beings. Love is rare enough that when it comes into your life, you should cherish it like the treasure it is and say (deep political analysis alert) to hell with what others think. Surround yourself with friends and lovers who support you in your multi-dimensionality. Live your life according to your heart and soul's desire. That is, I believe, the secret of happiness.

Anonymous said...

heh...i like that image, fitzzz.

there's got to be some identity equivalent to that one tool on any swiss army knife that nobody ever really uses or can even confidently identify, but it gets tried out every so often as a makeshift widget or screwdriver, if, say... one end of it looks like it might fit that weird-shaped notch that none of your screwdriver bits seems to fit but you REALLY don't want to go out and buy a new one just yet and it's at least worth a try... but it always goes back to just being vaguely acknowledged but doesn't play much of a part in shaping one's stories or defining you in contrast to what it isn't.


and also, there's the equivalent of that tiny flip-out corkscrew...sure it got a *lot* of use during the college years, and you patted yourself on the back for your cleverness and efficiency and for not buying into the trappings of materialism- "hey, man...the capitalist hegemony tells us that we should want and need things like a separate fancy device for opening our wine, so we're supposed to go out and be good little consumers, but really they're just preying upon our fears of not being *real* adults to sell us things we don't need! well, i say Fuck You, Man! I've got my little multi-tool and my $6 Jackson-Triggs White Merlot, and I'm just FINE, thank you!"

but then you kind of get tired of wedging bottles between your knees and the cork breaking and having to ask someone stronger to help you because there's no leverage on that thing, and you get a little perspective on what battles are really worth fighting, and realize that buying a grown-up corkscrew isn't a sign that the fascists have won and turned you into a mindless drone like the rest of them, because, really? that little corkscrew is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth and you're fucking tired of dislocating your shoulder every time.
so, you grow and you keep honing in on the constantly-present elements that make up what really defines you, and that corkscrew's always still there as something that was once significant to you and shaped a particular time... but it never gets snapped open anymore except for when you're just cleaning out the purse detritus that keeps collecting in the spiral loops, after which it's snapped back in again, forgotten until the next round of housekeeping.

.
.
.

i *do* just LOVE to take a good analogy and run with it to near-absurdity..(g)