Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Faking it

And now I'm clicking around like mad, finding more of those luscious tiny image narratives. This one would have resonated in my earlier mood, when I was walking around outside taking my doubts too seriously. I like the way I got punted out of that space by the little "Respect the Art" exchange, the same way I was pulled up short by Amelia last summer, with this conversation, in my tiny bathroom in the apt. in J&S's house:

Amelia: Why are you putting that stuff in your hair?
Me: Because I have a meeting and I need to look nice for work.
A: Because you need to look like a businesswoman?
Me: Pretty much.
A: But they're GOING to KNOW you're faking it!

She then explained that my eyebrow ring was a clear signal that I was Not a Businesswoman. But I do carry that silly little story around, her recognition that I'm not exactly mold-fitting. There's a big question mark there about what I was thinking about earlier -- when is being cross-disciplines, cross-conversations generative, stimulating, vivid -- and when is it a failure to buckle down and join one seriously already. I don't think I'm "faking it" -- but I do need to pick an academic/practice conversation and just JOIN it. Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, well, I think we are all faking something at some point. I still await the day people start pointing at me and yelling 'fraud!' It definitely has to do with attempting to be diverse in thinking and researching, calling it interdisciplinary, and yet terrified of being unfocused for the most part.

For what it's worth, you don't seem like a faker to me, Cate. I think you are the real deal.