Tuesday, March 04, 2008

dropped long ago

This really is the hardest thing I've ever done. I have a magnet on my fridge that has a little stick figure turning the corner and the caption "clyde was about to come face to face with the ball he had dropped long ago." This dissertation right now feels like that ball, like I've dropped a bucket of marbles on the floor and they're rolling around, fitting themselves into corners I'll never locate, sticking themselves into grooves in the wood I'll never fit my fingers into.

I didn't expect the sense of emotional overwroughtness that comes with the kind of paralysis I'm feeling right now. Writing and writing and feeling like I've completely lost the plot, and being so completely on edge that I can barely fight my way through the panic. No idea what I'm trying to say, and a level above that, no idea why I'm doing this at ALL in the first place. WTF has this process been about, where is it taking me?

And through it all, awareness that this level of emotionalism is totally out of proportion with the "real" stuff people are dealing with in their lives, that this is just me with a very first world problem, and that the caterwauling, squalling and sense of panic about it are completely unseemly. I feel simultaneously like a clichéd drama queen and some kind of sea creature with no muscle, no bone, nothing but a raw and exposed nervous system.

It's really just a chapter, among several chapters, in a long paper that a dozen people at the most will read. The ultimate demonstration of student prowess, of capability worthy of admission to some realm I'm not actually that interested in. I wanted it to mean more, and finding this void here is... overwhelming. And so lonely.

1 comment:

katherine said...

Cate! Hugs!!!!

I know you will get through it. I think everyone feels this way when they are just about to, but haven't quite yet hit that last stretch-- finish line alllllmost in reach....

One of my favourite teachers, a very wise man and an incredible sculptor named Dorcy James, told our class in the first week of grade 12 art "Art is always ugly, right up until it's finished." I think of his words often, especially when I'm frustrated in the middle of some creation. He meant the process I think, as well as the piece itself, and it definitely applies to writing, too!

God...the little writing I have done compared to you!!! I can only say, hang in there, take lots of walks, and little breaks (I always find good ideas in the bathroom). Don't give up now. You are SOOOOOOOOOOOO close. Everyone is already so proud of you, and it will be over and OH-so worth it very, very soon!!!

Much love and good vibes,
k

p.s. thanks for lending me those books. I finished "life of pi"...it was excellent!!! I am about to start "about a boy"... Soon you'll be reading for pleasure again, too! xoxoxoxo