Thursday, December 07, 2006

Gouging out my words

Keyboards are really personal things, like toothbrushes. The kinds of things you don't really pay attention to when you're using them -- I couldn't tell you what colour my current toothbrush is, for example -- the tools that fade into the background, used without any conscious awareness, extension of mind.

But I've had people using my keyboards on occasion lately, and every time I'm a bit abashed when they say HEY, WHERE ARE THE LETTERS?

Apparently I'm so... ferocious... in my typing that I've worn off most of the letters on my ibook.



And I've also ... GOUGED... actual dents in the keyboard on my imac, apparently pounding away with jackhammer-tipped fingers, fiercely, insistently driving text and words into being.

Apparently, I type with talons.

So much of my life carved through these worn-out keys, flayed evidence of plots and ideas pursued, wrestled into being, threads tangled and unrewoven. Courting F through text, fingers flying as synapses snapped together -- mangling ideas and concepts unsatisfactorily as I try to find voice in my academic work -- finances sorted and agonized over -- friendships made and deepened and dismantled -- online worlds entered, constructed, amused.

The most mundane, the most transcendent, transmitting the oils of my fingers into the plastic until I fuse mind and e-world and body-world into life.

Confession: when I wake up alone, I reach for my ibook and check my email, my online friends, before I pee. Confession: when I'm driving, if the traffic is stalled, I'll click the "versamail" button on my treo to see if anyone has sent me anything juicy.

My life dispersed, carved through keys, self saturated. What Ken Gergen calls "multi-phrenia" -- the pomo extension of self to multiple places/selves at once. Sometimes we need to step away from it and breathe, let the corporeal self catch up...and sometimes the physical evidence of what's possible now, lives made real because of these keys -- a bit breath-taking.

2 comments:

katherine said...

hahaha...the same thing happened to me. It was "E". I guess it really is the most popular letter.

Have fun in NY

katherine said...

OMG...I just looked at the photo up close...now I'm just scared of you...!!!!!!