Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Interference



One of the trials of having a home office when one moves is that there's no geek on call to do the "and then a miracle occurs" nonsense.

1. No phone jack on the wall where my office stuff is, resulting in the rat's nest pictured.

2. Colour printer/scanner thingy stopped printing some time ago, so I took it to Repair Guy; "we don't fix printers," says geeky guy, aka Enemy of the Environment. "New printers are way cheaper than fixing them." Unable to bear the thought of toting this thing around and hanging onto it for Environment Day, I shoved the printer rudely at him and asked him to throw it away for me.

3. Laser printer, which was functioning just fine at my other place, had a moving mishap and the printer tray fell out, hurt my knee, scattered paper hither and yon. Now paper won't feed at all.

4. Cordless phones, which should be boon given phone jack situation, are suddenly beset with poltergeist like SCRRRRRRRRRRRREEEETTTching that *I* can hear and which obscure what person on other end is saying, but which they can't hear. No apparent pattern to this re where in flat this happens or not.

5. Wires everywhere. Have I mentioned the snakes of wires *everywhere*?

6. Electrician boy did not do a good job with the niceties of what things look like, I realize after his departure. Chandelier hung with orange morrets right in the middle of the chain. Switches placed on walls with big unsightly gaps instead of tidily grouped all together. There's already limited wallspace for art; this does not help.

7. Dishwasher so loud cannot turn it on while attempting to have conversation of any kind inside loft.

Gah. I think I'm dehydrated.

No comments: