Sunday, March 19, 2006

moonbeans and burritos

I sat on my new purple sofa today, reading and doing work, looking out at the skyline, and felt balanced and light and good. Had my first shower in my new place and -- thankfully -- the water was hot and plentiful. It's still pretty echoey in there, and I'm looking forward to having things actually IN place. But, it's good.

I'm really digging the cafes, particularly Moonbean. Met a woman from online there today and had a nice connecting conversation. I like the sense of the milling throngs around me -- that sensation that I can go there and read and work and talk to people who are all like this luscious banquet of anarchistic energy.

Moonbean is resolutely scrabbled together -- endless options for loose teas, fair trade beans of all species (flavoured and real), unambitious but yummy baked goods and sandwiches, juice. Tables of rough hewn, uneven wood, all crammed together. Yesterday when I was having coffee and a bagel there with Siobhan before tackling the epic ikea stuff, there were two people adjacent to us. One, a youngish, queerish guy -- whom I've seen around a fair bit -- was much pierced, very "of my own creation" jeans with random fabric patches, tshirt, big buckled belt. He and the woman he was with were deep in conversation when we were all startled by "where did you GET that??" from behind him. We all turned -- S and I couldn't help it -- and these two women (straightish, 40ish) were kneeling down behind him, poking at and chortling over his jacket. It was an image of Shrub with "Terrorist" across the bottom. Hip guy was taken aback, said, shortly, "I made it," and, much obvlious vocalizing later, after blocking pedestrian traffic, the two women left. "What do you think she would have done if I'd just gone up and started rifling through HER jacket?" he said indignantly. "I could have shoved my hands into her pockets."

I need to go there and work. Soon.

Picked up burritos for dinner (more beans) and came home to get some work done. I think the loft will feel like home when my bed is there -- for now it feels like some kind of cross between a research project and a promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you can work in a coffee shop. I'm useless, though I can read a really absorbing novel in a place like that.

A day full of beans is a good day in my book. :)