Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Vygotsky and Orange Juice

I love it when theory and alcohol intertwine :-).

I had a client session today where I introduced Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development in a lateral context and the group was so playful that they started coining drink names riffing on "Vygotsky." That felt good, that my process and facilitation led them there -- I needed that reassurance, since last night I hit the "Overwrought" setting on my life. Found myself talking on the phone to B (initially simply about borrowing the car) and sobbing on the phone while frantically trying to figure out how to flip the lever to open the gas cap to refuel my car. I literally sat in the car next to the pump at the icky little gas station at the foot of Bathurst (the closest one that purveys diesel) for 15 minutes, crying, cellphone clutched between ear and shoulder, repeatedly getting out of the car to pry at the gas cap and to search, futiley, again, for the lever that had simply disappeared. When I hung up I finally realized that the car doesn't *have* a lever, that the fuel lock opens when you shut off the car , and that the gas cap is on the *passenger* side, and that the little thingy on the driver's side is decoration. (Note that have had car since JULY). Thanks, Mercedes, for clever design and thanks completely-broken-down-capacity-for-weathering-things.

Bad inverted Zone of Proximal Development (Zone of Convergent Deconstruction?) where moving + nearing anniversary of separation from B + pms + just plain fatigued + Energy Sucking Client + no time with Excellent Therapist for weeks because of moving + no time for exercise because of moving created a perfect storm of Lucille Ball-like WAAAAAH. I'm better now, still rolling on my tongue that notion of feeling like an essential protein is missing from my blood with the end of the shared life with B... realizing that the missing protein creates a metaphoric possibility of injecting new proteins.

It'll all be more than fine, and today, I love my loft again. Though I really have to get rid of Energy Sucking Client.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

perfect storm of Lucille Ball-like WAAAAAH What a wonderful image and description for how these crazy breakdowns feel. I still forget that my gas tank is on the passenger side, also. I've had the car 2 years, but I became the primary driver only when K left. Still -- over a year and I'll still find myself on the wrong side of the gas pumps.

I'm glad you're liking your loft today. :)

Anonymous said...

perfect storm of Lucille Ball-like WAAAAAH What a wonderful image and description for how these crazy breakdowns feel. I still forget that my gas tank is on the passenger side, also. I've had the car 2 years, but I became the primary driver only when K left. Still -- over a year and I'll still find myself on the wrong side of the gas pumps.

I'm glad you're liking your loft today. :)

Anonymous said...

I was so proud of that comment, I just had to post it twice.

CateC said...

LOL, Renee. I thought "3 comments, wtheck?" and Now I See :-). Happy birthday!