Saturday, March 18, 2006

Switching on

Two days with Electrician Boy, threading wires through new pipes so when I hit the switches in my bedroom lights actually turn on, and there are no more cords dangling from hideous outdoor fixtures down to the outlets near the floor. I bought Electrician Boy his first lattes ever, tried to thread my days through steady progress, slow myself from the spinning out I felt Friday morning when I just couldn't accommodate a client conversation, a drive across town to let EB in, an incapacitated man stepping right in front of my moving car even after he met my eyes.

As I layer my space into something that shapes the me-who-I-shall be, I start to collect moments of joy. My time out to breathe at lunch yesterday at Rice Bar, healthy organic inexpensive food, cafe society communal tables, good mint tea, forcible slowing down. An amazingly delicious and joyful tapas meal at a place with a giant bull cutout on Augusta, treated by Megan last night. Loving my new furniture despite the chips in the table caused by Bruce and his hillbilly rattly delivery truck. An afternoon with Siobhan who patiently collaborated with me on two complicated ikea assemblings, and now I have a place for shoes and tights. A trip to home hardware for bigger anchors. Lots of slowing myself down and forcing myself to listen to people like the HH man who gave me useful information.

I love the sense of Agora in the space downstairs, and I love that my private sphere is such an oasis. I am feeling some of the same sense of being "Awake" that I feel in Santa Barbara with school. This is good.

2 comments:

katie's brain said...

Stop it. You're killing me. I'm so jealous!

Anonymous said...

Me too! I am so glad that you are happy! Your new place seems to be opening up a part of you we haven't seen for awhile. Hooorah!