Thursday, March 16, 2006

Through the hole in the floor

My place is *shiny* and there are even a few socks in the newly tightened drawers. I spent the day scrubbing with my cleaner Catherine and assembling furniture and moving things around and testing out my new washer and installing a new toilet seat and figuring out how the garbage room works etc. The place is really becoming something that feels like home.

I had time to wander out for more fair trade coffee and a famous kensington empanada today. The restaurant crammed with polite but firm lunch time gobblers, $3.50 for an excellent chicken jumbo empanada, run by chileans and staffed by a wide array of immigrants. Standing at the counter waiting for my lunch to heat up, I noticed movement under my feet and could see through the vent into the basement, east african men churning out the empanadas, south american women running them upstairs. Melissa always says I am too persnickity about cleanliness to travel to a developing country; I think the cooking arrangements in the market will cure me of that.

I still feel like I haven't let myself feel *of* the neighbourhood at all -- I keep emerging, blinking, into the bustle of the street, feeling streaked with dust, hair lank, my baggy cambodian-made Levi's (the ones bought in a Walmart in Taos New Mexico) a reproach to the casual of-my-very-soul clothes everyone on the street sports. I went into the flower store downstairs, chatted with the gals who run it and bought a money tree, laughed about how I have an ex who taught me how to water plants through misting the leaves, never water-logging the soil, how everyone in our lives brings us something.

Am heading back now with D to do some furniture assembling. I feel like I'm well on my way to being able to settle in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we come visit you can we sleep in the secret room?!?!?

CateC said...

You sure can!!!!! There's one room for you and Sue and another hidey hole for doody ;-).

katie's brain said...

Me too, me too please!